Wednesday, August 8, 2012

There are a lot of "losers" in the Olympic Games

   Since we do not have cable, I have been watching some of the Olympics over the Internet, the broadcast originating with the BBC in London. Their coverage is very good, but, as would be normal for any country, they focus a lot on the athletes of British Commonwealth and, in particular, those of the mother country. Most of these participants are unknown to me, some because their names do not appear in our sports news, but also a lot are in, for me, obscure sports, that I don't know much about.

   Regardless of the sport, for an athlete to get to the Games is an accomplishment. For some it is their life, but, even if it is not a full-time occupation, it takes a tremendous amount of hours, honing a skill that will take you to the top of a sport, or even just an event in that sport. Sometimes those hours take you to the top spot on the winner's platform, but for the majority of those in these Summer Games, there is no medal to take home, only the chance to compete.

   In 1984, our family got to attend some events of the Summer Games in Los Angeles. It was a treat to see the athletes, from so many countries around the world, compete on the world stage, and to read their stories in the local papers.

  

   I guess I am intrigued more by the stories of those who do not win medals than I am by the stars that make the headlines. Those guys that struggle in last in the marathon, or miss the initial pole vault height,  or even suffer some injury and do not get to compete at all. How do they feel about the whole experience? Are they mad, or are they just glad to have been able to come that far? What do they take away from that opportunity, and how does it affect the rest of their lives? There may be as many stories as there are men and women competing, but I think their lives have something to say to the rest of us.

   Am I willing to put in the time to make my life all that God intends? Do I look at disappointments as the end, or just a temporary situation? Do my attitudes and actions reflect  a loss or a gain from the experience?

   We all can't be Olympic winners, but we can show the dedication that they model in their sport, in our lives. They have a purpose and so should I.

  Now someone please point me to stories about  "losers" in the Games and how their lives were impacted by that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment