Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Walk The Path, With Me..

   With Me?

   Three things seem to be my focus this morning. One from the Psalm reading, one from the Gospel reading and one from a song that comes to my mind. Let's see if I can weave them together to make some sense.

   First the verse from Psalm 119:

   "105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.
   Then some verses from John 1:

   "Jesus turned and saw them following and said to them, “What are you seeking?” And they said to him, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” 39 He said to them, “Come and you will see.”

   Then some words from a verse of the Servant Song that seem to apply to all of this:

   "I will hold the Christ light for you
In the night time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the the peace you long to hear."
   A light on a path, one that I can use, and one that I can share. An invitation from Jesus to follow along with Him and see what He is about.

   How does all of that apply to my life today? I may not know, even when the day is over, but I can see some possibilities.

   Mayre and I are meeting with a couple this evening that are looking for some direction in their marriage and lives. We were asked to be a guide in this process, and wonder if we are the right people to do this.

   First of all, in these types of situations, we have to be willing to share our lives and struggles with them, the good with the bad. In a sense, we have to invite them to come along with us as we live, to see us as we really are and, to not only pass along timely wisdom, but be real people in our relationship with them. To do this we have to question whether or not our lives, separately and together, are a good example for them to look at. Who are we to do this, anyway? Do we dare say "come and see"?

   Secondly, we need to know where the wisdom comes from, this wisdom that will allow them to tap into the real source of happiness for them. The psalmist says, "Your word". The words that God speaks into our lives, from The Bible, from what He shows us in our circumstances, and what He indicates to us from what other believers say. It is not our wisdom, but His, that will make the difference.

   Thirdly, we must be willing to be used in this way. We will hold that "Christ light" for them and be the guide on that path, and as the song says, "I will...".

   So, all of this can apply to our assignment, and now we just need to pray that God will strengthen us for the task, guide us in the words and actions that we present, and keep us honest and real. We pray also that the other couple will want to hear, and want to take it to heart.

   "I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the the peace you long to hear."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment