Monday, June 24, 2013

Bird Voices and Reminders

   It is funny sometimes how the mind works. Take this morning for example:

   After getting up early, reading a little, I went for a stroll in the quiet. I looked at the sky as the sun rose, watching the cloud formations and the way that the sun played off the tops. I looked around me, and then I listened. There seemed to be a multitude of birds, flying around and making noises. But there was one particularly loud one. As I walked I started to listen to what he, or she, had to say.



   The first question was what kind of bird was I hearing? Then I wondered if he, or she, was saying anything? The voice of that one winged creature was easy to hear, it was so much louder than the others. Then I started to count the chirps in each set, seeing if a pattern emerged.

   There were 4, then 4, then 4 more. Then came 5 and another 4. Next was 4, then 6, then 7, then 2, and 4 again. There was no discernible pattern to the number. The noises sounded the same, but the frequency in each set seemed random.

   So, I wondered. Was that one bird talking to another? Was he talking to me? Was he just making noise? What was the purpose in all of this? Was there one?

   Jesus says in Matthew 10:

"What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it."

   God created the birds that I hear. They are a part of His creation, and there is a purpose for them. Is that what I am supposed to realize this morning, or is there something else for me?

   Then I hear the sounds again, and I begin counting again, and thinking again.

   To me, these noises, however melodic, are just gibberish. To other birds around them they may have meaning, but not to me.

   Is my voice, when I speak, just more of the same, just more noise added to the din of the universe, or something else? Do I speak just to hear myself speak, or is there a purpose? Is that purpose worthwhile to others around me?

   Then I remember another verse, this one from Psalms 19:

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
Lord, my strength and my Redeemer."


   My words have meaning and are not just sounds. Thank you, birds for the reminder, and Thank You God, for creating them, words and birds, for me.

   Now if I only knew what that loud bird was talking about....

No comments:

Post a Comment