Saturday, June 15, 2013

Hippocrates and Me

   When I read these verses from Psalm 69, I thought immediately of the Hippocratic Oath and its admonition. The verses:

"May those who wait for You not be ashamed through me, O Lord God of hosts;
May those who seek You not be dishonored through me, O God of Israel,"

   The part of the oath that I focused on:

"I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone."

   That is my prayer a lot of times as I enter into relationships with others, family and friends that God has placed in my life. It may seem like a passive prayer, but one of the things that I do not want to be is a stumbling block to someone else, especially in the things of the Spirit.

   I think of the many ways that others can be influenced by my life, by what I say, and what I do. There is also the opposite side of that coin, what I do not say and and what I do not do. I want these facets of my life, all of them, to line up on God's side, so that my life becomes an example of the right.

   This week has been a good one for us. We have played, laughed, talked and just had a good time with our family. When I say family, I mean all, but especially those grand children that God has placed in our lives. This week we have been blessed with the three that live in Virginia, three states away up the interstates, and a good time was had by all.



   But I would pray that it has not just been a "good time", but a week that those kids will look back on and see their grand parent's lives lived in accordance with God's plan, to know that they are loved, each one, for who they are. We want to reinforce those things that their parents are putting in their young lives, so that the witness of God to them will be consistent and true.

   Thank You, God, for these opportunities to bless, and help me to be faithful in these "good times" Don't let me forget the importance of my words and actions on everyone You put in my life. Help me do good and not harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment