Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fifty-five and Counting

   I have written about these verses before, but they seem to strike a new chord this morning. There are two verses in Psalm 50 that hit me this day:

"Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,"

"The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me"

   Thanksgiving, giving thanks as a sacrifice to God. Living a life with a grateful heart is equivalent to giving God glory as a sacrifice.

   I think about some things that I am thankful for right now, this moment. Like a roof over my head while a storm hits outside, like food in the fridge, like a nice couch to sit on and write. All the material things that have been a part of my life.

   But then I think of the more substantial things that God has blessed me with, things that really matter after all else is gone, and my mind goes immediately to what I celebrate tomorrow June 7th. It will be our 55th wedding anniversary, and that constitutes my greatest thanksgiving.

   I am thankful that my wife stuck with me through some tough years. I am thankful for all the help and encouragement she has given me over all those years. I am thankful for all the nursing and nourishing that she has provided over that time.



   But most of all, I am thankful for her and for the wonderful family that she has made possible for us to enjoy over those years and these that we now enjoy.

   She said "I do" way back in 1958, but she did not have a clue what she was getting into. Thank goodness she didn't.

   I love her very much

No comments:

Post a Comment