Saturday, June 29, 2013

Is There a Moral to this Story?

   One of the things that all golfers want to do, especially as they grow older, is to be able to shoot a score that is the same as their age. Shooting your age is a way to say that "you have still got it".

   This is a pretty hard thing to do for average golfers like me whose game deteriorates with the passing of time. If I could freeze my game, I might be able to live long enough to meet this goal.

   But yesterday I found a way to do it with nature's help. It was simple, and I did not realize it until I finished playing and added up the scorecard. There it was, big as life, a 77 at the Indian Mound course on Jekyll, even playing from the white tees with the rest of my foursome.



   The day started out relatively cool with a little wind, clear skies and a dry course, but as the hours passed, the clouds and heat and humidity came.

   My game was average at best, but I kept hoping for a flash of brilliance as the holes added up along with the score. I managed to keep the ball out of the woods and the water, and some of the putts fell, but all in all it was not a spectacular effort. I was not even thinking of this score and age accomplishment as we were forced to stop for a rain shower.

   As we resumed play, I looked to the west and the skies were pretty dark, but maybe we could get the round in. Then the siren from the clubhouse sounded, and play was suspended, and I had found a way to shoot my age.

   Don't play the last 3 holes!

   Not much to brag about, but there it was, in black and white, on an official scorecard, on a regulation course, a 77, big as life, we just won't mention how it was done.

   I know it was bogus, but interesting to see how the score added up on that rainy day.

   Is there a moral to the story? Know when to quit? Enjoy the rain? Try again?

   OK

No comments:

Post a Comment