Monday, June 17, 2013

Faith, Active or Passive?

   I thought about this after reading a verse in Matthew 17 this morning:

   "He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” 




   Then I pondered the three words of Belief, Trust and Faith. I look at my life in the light of that verse, and what do I see?

   I believe that God is, that He cares, that He is active in the world., and that He is indeed in control of everything.

   I trust that God's plan and way are the best for my life, and that they are the way to His blessings.

   But I feel that my faith is more passive than active. I see the application of this in my favorite prayer, the one that never fails: "Thy will be done". A lot of the time this prayer is just tossed out there, and there it lays, used as a catch-all, a way to be in God's Will without much thought on my part.

   That is not all bad, I know, but the voice of resignation does little for living a life of active faith. God does bring circumstances into my life, as well as relationships, but, if all I do is acknowledge that these come from Him, and then go my way, what have I done but see them?

   Belief in His control, Trust that these things are for me, and Faith to see them more from His point of view than from my sense of "well, they are just there, now move on". That is a start, but I need to get out of the "que sera, sera" mode.

   "Whatever will be, will be" is not the end of the story.

   God wants a better response than that, and I need to at least ask, Why and What For?

No comments:

Post a Comment