Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Music Speaks

      One of the things that I enjoy about these retirement years is the time to be unhurried and just to sit and soak, not in the tub mind you, but in the place where God has put me. Let me illustrate it in this way, by going back into my morning and following the path to the present.

   Early this morning, I awoke, knowing it was still dark, but feeling like it was the right time for something, not knowing exactly what that might look like. I read some in the Psalms, not keying in on one thing in particular, just reading. Then I walked my normal route as the sun was just coming over the horizon. It was quiet, not much was stirring but a few birds and some squirrels, at least that is all I heard and saw. I like that quiet time very much. It is calming, and, although I do not always hear from God in that time, I know it is a time and place where I can if He desires it.

   For some reason I began to think about the number of years I have lived and why, when so many have passed on, that I am still around and reasonably well. Was there some reason that God has seen fit to leave me here? Was it something important that I should be doing or at least working toward?

   I thought of my role as a husband, as a father and as a grandfather. I thought of my role in our church, in our family and in the relationships that I have with others. Was there another role that should be added to that or was that the sum of it all?

   Then, as so often happens, a song came to my mind. I am not sure why music is so much a part of my experience, because I sure do not have any talent in that direction, but God often uses it to speak to my spirit with His. This particular song and its chorus goes like this:


Little is much when God is in it!
Labor not for wealth or fame.
There's a crown and you can win it,
If you go in Jesus' Name.


   Who am I to say what are the important things of life? I do not have the perspective to know or even guess what they are in the world around me, I am just responsible to see them in my own life. Not for those things that maybe I should have done in the past, or done better, but those things that are there in this time and are important right now. "Little" is a relative term and I can't determine what is little in God's eyes.

   Then, as so often happens, another song comes along to bless me and another chorus plays in my mind:

He is here, Hallelujah, He is here, Amen 
He is here, Holy Holy, I will bless His name again 
He is here, listen closely 
Hear Him calling out your name 
He is here, you can touch Him 
You will never be the same 


   And I know that I have been in His presence this day, and that He has reminded me of why I am here.  Thank You, God and Amen

Put your computer on full screen, watch and listen. Perhaps it is for more than just me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A97aLphdL00

No comments:

Post a Comment