Tuesday, June 4, 2013

God and a Good Caddy, a Connection?

   I'm not sure how to entitle this post, but it has to do with golf and thinking, so let me set the stage:

   I played yesterday, in a charity golf tournament over on Sea Island at a very high class and top of the line golf course. The course was in great shape, the greens like glass and the fairways clipped and tight. When you stand on the tee box, comparing the view to the courses we usually play on, the intimidation factor begins to set in. Fortunately, I played here last year also, and, although the factor was still there, it was not quite as bad.

   We started on number 6, which is the hardest hole on the course, a par five with lots of traps. I did not play it well and had the same result on the next couple of holes as well. On number 9, a par three, I managed to two-putt from the edge of the green for a par and felt better.

   As I stood over my putt on 10, about a 20 footer for a par, I was not confident with my putting skill, and wondered what in the world I needed to do to feel more comfortable. Playing on undulating greens, with multiple breaks and a fast speed on the downhills, is hard for me.

   Each foursome had a caddy that rode along with them, pointing out the best line to drive on, the distances to the flags, and he also helped spot wayward shots. I felt him standing behind me as I looked over that putt. He gave me his thoughts on the putt line, and then I stepped up and knocked it in the hole. My thought was, "hey, I can do this with his help, so use him and see what happens".

   A change of thought, a boost in confidence, and I proceeded to one-putt the next 5 holes for pars on each, simply because I trusted the caddy's read and then felt like I could make any putt. Then came the lightening and thunder. The siren sounded, and we headed back to the clubhouse.

   While waiting out the 40 minute rain delay, I wandered into the men's locker room library, picked up a book and began reading Bob Rotella's take on the mental side of golf. There I was, living out what he was preaching in the book. I was playing his thoughts without knowing them. Over the six holes before the rain came, my thought patterns had changed on the greens from "this is scary", to stepping up with some confidence and making the shot.

   Same putter, same ball, same stance, same fast greens, but there was a difference in attitude and thoughts. It was not an "I can do it" attitude, but a "I can do it with his (the caddy's) help" one. Makes all the difference.



   Could there be a connection to life? Is there help out there that I can call on for all the twisting 10 footers that life throws my way?

   Anyone find a spiritual application here? I did but now to remember it each and every day, on the course and off.

   Thank you God, for bringing golf and life together, and helping me see You in that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment