Saturday, March 29, 2014

3 Things on my Desk

   I look around my work place this morning and see 3 things that need my attention.

      1. An agenda for a condo meeting this morning at which I need to talk about financial stuff.

      2. A letter from an inmate at Lee State Prison over in Leesburg, GA.

      3. A letter from a 10 year old boy over in Kenya, one that we sponsor through Compassion.

   And I think, what do all of these have in common? I know they are reminders that I need to do something, figure out what to say to the condo owners, write a letter to the inmate, and respond to the letter from the Kenyan boy.

   Sorry to say, I have not even opened my Bible this morning, but I do see something that these lead me to say to those fellow owners this morning, something that needs to apply to my life as well.

   We all live in community. There are 42 owners in our condo complex, there are millions of incarcerated men and women around our state, country and world, and there are multiplied millions of children in the world that are in need of support and help. What is one person's responsibility to them and others?

   I live in a condo, there is a community there, in a neighborhood, there is one there also. How about the island we live on, yes there is one there, and the state and nation that we live in. All these are communities of a sort, and then there is our world.

   Included in each of the above are imbedded other sorts of communities, such as church and school and clubs and businesses. We are all meshed into all various kinds and many of these simultaneously.

   What can one person do? What does God expect from me?

   I can begin by trying to look at the big picture of any community that I am a part of. I do not need to just focus on what I want to have happen, my own needs and wants, but what is the best for the whole.

   Secondly, I can serve where God calls me. Whether it is writing a letter to a boy in Kenya to encourage him, or one to an inmate in Leesburg, GA, there is something that no one else may do today for these people. Those letters are on my personal desk for a reason.

   What else might I see if I just open my eyes and heart to it? If I shuffle around on my desk, in all my stuff, I might just see more that I have covered up.

   An agenda and two letters, at least do that......


No comments:

Post a Comment