Saturday, March 15, 2014

God Singing, Over What?

   The other day my wife gave me a present. She called it an early birthday or father's day present, but whatever it was meant to be, it gave some meaning to my early morning time today.

   This was a book of birds and their various songs. It came with a CD of the actual sounds of a variety of winged creatures. While listening to it, and looking at the way those sounds were phonetically translated onto the written page, I thought, there is no way I could ever learn to distinguish them from each other, putting the right sound with its singer.

   As I walked this morning, some time before dawn, that is what I heard. Birds singing as the day was still new and unspoiled. Different songs coming from various places in the darkness, and I thought, "I really would like to know which ones are doing what". The air was full of God-created sound. Several times I had to stop and listen, to see if I could pick up all the variations of these songs of joy in my world.




   I had read several passages before I ventured out in the dark, but I could not see how these related to what I was experiencing. A refrain kept going through my mind, "He sings over me". From a song I had heard? I could not place it.

   As I googled this, all of the first hits led me to a verse in Zephaniah 3: (NIV)

"The Lord your God is with you,
    the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
    in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
    but will rejoice over you with singing.”

   As I kept reading what others said about this verse, I came across this comment to a blog post:

"The thought of God actually singing over me is so amazing and uplifting! When I take walks, I listen to the birds singing and know that they are the voice of God in song over me. Wow!"

   That seemed to fit what I had felt, but how did it apply to my life? What was in my life that was worth God singing over? Too many are my failings and sins.

   When I struggled to hear Him in His Word this morning, He gave me the songs in the trees. Maybe, just maybe, it was because I stopped to listen.



   And be grateful.

   Thanks

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment