Thursday, March 20, 2014

Music....Memories

   There was this verse from Psalm 100 in my reading this morning:

"Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
 Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!"

   If my memory serves me correctly, I remember this as one of my early memory verses from Sunday School way back in my early years (and that is "way" back). Every time I read it or hear it read, it takes me back. I can't help but think that God gives us memory to help us connect with those things in the past that He wants us to relate to.

   And the verse speaks of music, and music is one of those "memory sticks" that take us back.

   Just yesterday, our music worship leader at church posted on his Facebook page a query about a lady who had attended one of our Sunday morning services. She had heard a song that reminded her of a special Walk to Emmaus, one that brought back memories of a life changing time God had given her on her own Walk, 9 years before. In her email she had thanked the church for taking her back to that meaningful time. A sweet and powerful memory for her.



   I can relate to that. Familiar hymns and praise songs take me back to sweet times also. Music that resonates in the soul and that has the ability to stir hearts in worship.

   I can still remember the music leader in our Chattanooga church leading us in what was fondly called, this church's national anthem, Amazing Grace. With the congregation singing the first verse, the ladies the second, the swelling organ on the third and all the people, with gusto, singing the last, it was powerful and never failed to elicit goose bumps. It still does as I hear it in my mind.

"Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I'm found.
'Twas blind, but now I see."


   Such music becomes so powerful in the singing, that it causes a lump in the throat, and, with that, an inability to get the words out of my mouth, simply because of how God has used that in my life. I just have to stand and mouth the words. My heart is too full to make any noise at all.

   Music, for me, like:

"Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary
Pure and holy, tried and ture
With thanksgiving, I'll be a living
Sanctuary for You"


and:

"How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure"

and from "way" back:

"Jesus loves me this I know 
For the Bible tells me so 
Little ones to him belong 
They are weak but he is strong" 


   My morning becomes one of worship even as I think about them again.

   Thank You, God....for memory




No comments:

Post a Comment