Wednesday, March 19, 2014

What Blessings Would I List?

   For several years now, my wife and I have supported a child in Kenya through the Compassion program. His name is Peter and he lives in Nairobi, the capital city.



   Yesterday, we got a letter from him. Correspondence from the kids is a big part of the program. I'm sure it keeps the donor interested in, not only the individual child, but also the mission in general, to hear from one's sponsored child is a reminder not to forget to send that monthly support.

   In his letter, Peter mentioned three things that he received at Christmas this past December. Looking at the things he listed, I wondered what any of my grandkids would have mentioned from their gifts, especially at 10 years of age.

  He says that he received a shirt and trousers from the Compassion center.

   He also says that his family received water filters , so now he can filter the water from the river and be able to drink it.

   I am sure that many other children his age, living in that same city, would be overjoyed to have received those same gifts. So many of them do not have Compassion sponsors, or families that can afford these gifts, and they get by with much less.

   All of this just reminds me of all the clothes hanging in my closet and tucked away in dresser drawers. It reminds me of the clean water that can be used straight from the faucet in the kitchen. Those things that I take for granted every day, he can't.

   Then a verse comes to mind: (Luke 12:48 NASB)

   " From everyone who has been given much, much will be required;"

   Then I think of how much good that small check each month means, and how little it costs me.

   My ratio of blessings in and blessings out is out of whack.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment