Friday, March 7, 2014

Time For Oatmeal

   I have been bothered for the past few days, even when I got up this morning, with the fact that I have not taken the time to sit down and read, or study, or pray meaningfully, or write, for three mornings in a row.

   Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday all began with places to be at 7AM. Now, I know that I could have set the alarm for 5AM or so, and had time, but I did not. So, on those 3 days, I hurriedly got up, got breakfast and took off for my appointments.

   I guess I felt guilty. With all of my pronouncements of the early morning time being the best part of the day because of spending some quiet time with God, I did not even do it. What does it take to have this as a start to my day?

   As an illustration, I do not need to look beyond my breakfast of today, it is right there on the counter waiting for me. My recipe for today's first meal:



   Oatmeal, good for what ails you, putting a smile to your face. It is good and good for you, and I enjoy making it.



   But what is the secret of this recipe? Why is it so good? It is in the last line of the instructions:



   The secret ingredient is TIME.

   I can get all of the stuff together. I can get it set up in the bowl, but if I do not give it enough time, it will not turn out well.

   First of all, I guess you have to want to have that for breakfast, then you have to take the proper time to make it happen.

   It is the same way with any worthwhile endeavor. I have to feel the need for it first, the want-to of doing it, and then I have to take the time. It does not have to be 10 hours in the crock pot, but it does have to be enough to let God speak and time for me to listen.

   Today gives me two early blessings: Time with The Heavenly Father, and perfectly cooked oatmeal.

   Hard to beat

No comments:

Post a Comment