Monday, March 17, 2014

Wisely and Well

   Some verses from Psalm 90 this morning: (from The Message)

"We live for seventy years or so
    (with luck we might make it to eighty),"

"Oh! Teach us to live well!
    Teach us to live wisely and well!"

"And let the loveliness of our Lord, our God, rest on us,
    confirming the work that we do.
    Oh, yes. Affirm the work that we do!"


   When I put these all together, my prayer is for guidance in the days that I might have left. Of course, none of us can know of the times that are allotted for us to be here, but especially, as I get up into the late 70s, I know I have much less time than I have ever had before. It is easy to look from the perspective of a man in his 20s and see the possibility of many years ahead, but not from where I stand.

   As I stand in the early morning dawn, I have to wonder how many sunrises do I have left.



   What are the things that I need to be about? Who is out there that I need to befriend or help in some way? How do I juggle the calls on my time to be the husband, father, friend, helper that God would affirm? How do I live "wisely and well"?

   We all want to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant" when we step across the threshold of death into a new life, but how do I get there?

   Sitting here, it is easy to ponder these questions and read those verses that sum up what I want to be like, but then comes the nitty gritty of the day, and the decisions as to how to spend my time are all around me. Then what? Will I remember the verses as well as I remember the sunrise?

   God, I ask that You guide me in "wisely and well" so that any work that I do be worthy of Your affirmation.

   Let me so live.....

No comments:

Post a Comment