Monday, March 3, 2014

Plans, Whose Plans?

   A busy morning brought me to a doctor's waiting room this day. It was a check-up, nothing earth shattering, and this post has nothing to do with medical issues. Two things came together in my mind and brought out these thoughts.

   Incident No. 1: The book I was reading in the waiting room, while, what else, waiting, was called Damascus Countdown, by Joel Rosenberg. This fictional portrayal of some end-times scenarios regarding Israel, Syria, Iran and other countries, including the US, is set in the current day and uses the prophecies of Ezekiel 38 and 39. It is one author's take on the plans of various world leaders that center on the Middle East.

   Incident No. 2: When my check-up ended and I was ushered up to the front window to make a new appointment, my conversation with the receptionist focused on when I would like to come back for a 6 months followup. She gave me a date in September, and my thought was, "who knows what I could be doing on September 8, 2014. I had no idea, but, of course, took the date and the appointment card and went on my way.

   Does anyone know for sure how the whole situation in the Middle East will work out? God knows for sure, but how about national leaders concerned with the result? Whose plans will be carried out and whose timetable will prevail? 

   It even breaks down into such a thing as my personal life. In the great scheme of things, it is of little consequence, especially on the world stage. My appointment may be on the books of the doctor and on my personal calendar, but does that have any relevance to my being in that place at that time? Some perhaps, but I cannot know any of the things that may go on over those 180 or so days.

   This post is not about making plans. We all have to do that, but it is concerned with who is in control of those plans and their outcomes.

   It is like the boy who held the baby bird in his hand, grasping it tightly so it would not get away. As the father pried open the boy's fingers a little bit, he reminded him that holding it too tightly could kill the fragile baby. It was only by holding it loosely that he was assured of both protecting the fledgling and keeping it in his possession.

   We are in the same situation. We need to hold our plans and our schedules loosely, letting God work out the details, not only the outcomes, but all of the ins and outs along the way.

   God knows I have an appointment on 8:30, September 8, 2014. Let's see what He does with it.

   He is in control, and I am flexible.



   My pencil has both lead and an eraser.

No comments:

Post a Comment