Friday, June 1, 2012

Come and Get Out

   After I wrote this blog yesterday morning, I had a good feeling. I had taken a portion of the Psalm I read and saw how it applied to my life. It seemed to come easy to do this as the thought of thanksgiving resonated with my soul. Whether anyone else read it and could apply it to their life was pretty immaterial, I saw it as the correct interpretation of Scripture, at least for me in that moment.

   Then this morning, as I read the episode of Jesus walking on the water and Peter wanting to do the same, I saw something else, something that gave me pause.

   After Peter asks if he could come to Jesus on the water, the story continues:

   "Peter, suddenly bold, said, "Master, if it's really you, call me to come to you on the water."
 29-30He said, "Come ahead."
   Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, "Master, save me!"
 31Jesus didn't hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, "Faint-heart, what got into you?"

   Yes, the first command is Come, but after Peter obeys and then realizes what he is doing, he is met with a term from Jesus, faint-heart.

   It seems easy for me to sit in the boat of thankfulness and let the feeling of thinking that, yes, I am truly thankful, forgetting that it is a sacrifice to be truly that way. When asked to live in that mode, to get out of the feeling good boat and show it in other ways than just writing words in a blog, I start to sink. In fact I do not even want to get out of the boat.

   I can see ways to show my thankfulness, God places some things on my heart, but then I think I see some consequences of those actions, and I pause. Faint hearted is too mild a term. Unwilling might be closer to the truth.

   At least Peter got out of the boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment