Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Question

   There is a question in the reading today. True, it is a question that comes out of a particular story from Matthew 20, but it is a question that all have to answer when we encounter Jesus. The passage reads from The Message:

   "As they were leaving Jericho, a huge crowd followed. Suddenly they came upon two blind men sitting alongside the road. When they heard it was Jesus passing, they cried out, "Master, have mercy on us! Mercy, Son of David!" The crowd tried to hush them up, but they got all the louder, crying, "Master, have mercy on us! Mercy, Son of David!"
 32Jesus stopped and called over, "What do you want from me?"
 33They said, "Master, we want our eyes opened. We want to see!"
 34Deeply moved, Jesus touched their eyes"

   Jesus asks this morning, "What do you want Me to do? What is the need here for you? Out of all the things that you can ask Me for, what is the most important, right now, today, at this moment in time, when we are speaking to each other, when we recognize each other?"

   When I strip away all the things that can call for the attention of my life, all the needs of others, all the situations that call for my help and notice, all my concerns, what do I answer Jesus?

   "To know You and the power of Your salvation"

   My eyes also need to be opened, I want to see, and I want to feel that divine touch. I want to be so blatantly honest that Jesus is deeply moved.

   Let it be so, even now, Lord Jesus, let it be so..

No comments:

Post a Comment