Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Get The Whole Message

   And then there is the problem of "selective hearing". I am accused of that sometimes, hearing what I want to hear and conveniently forgetting the whole message.

   From Matthew 17, the gospel writer gives a brief scenario:

    "And while they were gathering together in Galilee, Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men; and they will kill Him, and He will be raised on the third day.” And they were deeply grieved." (NASB)

   It seems the disciples heard the first part of Jesus' statement, that He would be killed, but they either did not hear the second part, or chose not to, "He will be raised on the third day". Maybe they just did not understand what He meant by this. Regardless, they were deeply grieved.

  I can be the same way. I can read a portion of the Scripture, looking for a tidbit to start my day off on the right foot, knowing that I do not have a lot of time to dwell on the whole passage. I need something to hang my hat on, to write about, and to say that I have done my time, and now God should be pleased with my effort.

   True, it can be better than not doing anything, but is it the best?

   I think not.

   Too often my own stuff gets in the way, and my selection process is flawed. I hear what I want to hear for that moment and miss the greater meaning. I can get a message into my brain, but it has a hard time getting to my heart. Maybe I really do not want to hear it at all, so I choose which part is for me. I play God with His Word, and then He is grieved.

   God, please help me to get it right, to see the whole picture the way you want me to.

No comments:

Post a Comment