Monday, June 18, 2012

Use the Light

   There was a verse in the Psalm reading this morning that caught my eye. From Psalm 89:15:

   "Blessed are the people who know the festal shout,
who walk, O Lord, in the light of your face,"
   I shortened it down to just, "Blessed are those that walk in the light of Your face". Then my mind turned to a theme from the Truth Project which talks about : "gazing on the face of God", and I wondered what all of this had to do with me this morning.

   Gazing on God's face implies that one has taken the time to look for God's mind and will in matters of his own life. The Bible says that when we draw near to God, He will draw near to us, and when we seek Him we will find Him. So, when He comes near (of course He is always near, we just don't realize or want to acknowledge it sometimes), and we gaze on His face, or see what He is all about, then we can walk on the path He has shown, using the Light He has provided.

   The question for me is why don't I always see that Light operating in my life? I sit down to read and study some mornings, and there seems to be nothing there for me, or I just don't see it. Why is the Light withheld at those times? Perhaps it is not withheld, but I simply do not comprehend it.

   Could God be saying to me, Look, I have given you light to walk by and you have not responded? More light will come when you do what you already know to do. Am I in effect saying "God, I see what Your light reveals, but maybe You could give me another Light that fits in more with my plans"?

   The question remains, do I really want to gaze upon the face of God and have my way illumined by His Light, or just say that I desire that? There comes a time when I have to quit asking and just do.

   Is it like the story of the little boy on the farm when asked to go out to the barn in the pitch dark with the lantern, says to his dad, "but I can't see the barn from here with just that light". When the father replies that he just needs to walk to the end of the lighted way and then he will have light to see the next part of the path, the boy realizes that he has all the light he needs.

   I can't see all the way, but, if I just use what I have, I have all I need.

   Obedience to the Light already shown is the key to more of the same.

   Go and Do

No comments:

Post a Comment