Monday, June 25, 2012

My Plans or His?

   Today is the day of the Gathering Place fund raising golf tournament. I have looked forward to this for a while since it is to be played on the Ocean Forest course over on Sea Island. Now this course is very private, and the only way to get on is to be invited by a member. So this is my chance to see it and play it, and to test my game on it.

   But there is a problem. It started raining last night, rained all night and is still coming down this morning. The forecast is for still more rain throughout the day, so it does not look good for golf. A tropical storm came up in the Gulf of Mexico a couple of days ago and has moved east so that the northern part of Florida and south Georgia are getting the rain. Looking at the weather radar map, the whole of the United States looks good except for right down here where we are.

   As I sit here this morning, listening to the rain outside and reading the Scripture for today, the word that catches my attention is "Prayer", as in this verse in Matthew 21:

   "Absolutely everything, ranging from small to large, as you make it a part of your believing prayer, gets included as you lay hold of God."

   After kicking this around in my mind, realizing that praying is something that I do, but also something that eludes my understanding quite a bit of the time, I think maybe God is telling me to spend the free time today, since I don't have to spend hours at that course, in seeking Him in prayer.

   One of my favorite lines on prayer, from a quasi secular book series, Jan Karon's Mitford series, is the one by Father Tim when he says that he will pray the prayer that never fails, which is: "Thy will be done".

   If it is God's will that I not play today, perhaps another activity might be much more beneficial to me.

   Thy will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment