Sunday, June 10, 2012

So Let Me Live Today

   The Psalm reading for this morning was in Psalm 93 and 96, and the key phrase from both is:

   "The Lord reigns."

   The idea of God's sovereignty encompasses all of history, past, present and future, and all of the lives of the people who live it. It means that my life is intertwined with all who have come before and those that will come after, but also means that all of my thoughts, actions and interactions are known. How all of this works within the concept of my free will is a mystery to me, but I believe that it is true. It is not just my free will that impacts what I do and say, but that of every other person on the planet. God would have to be God to be able to take care of all of that.

   Then there are the verses from the Gospel reading in Luke 12:

   47-48"The servant who knows what his master wants and ignores it, or insolently does whatever he pleases, will be thoroughly thrashed. But if he does a poor job through ignorance, he'll get off with a slap on the hand. Great gifts mean great responsibilities; greater gifts, greater responsibilities!"

   God has placed in my hands, gifts, gifts to be used for Him and for the benefit of others, talents and abilities as well as opportunities for His service. He has orchestrated contacts and openings in my life that can be used for His glory, and He knows about the purpose of each.

   As I sit here this morning, with the day stretching before me, what kind of servant will I be? Will I see the hand of God in what happens, no matter how trivial? Will I look on these hours as a time just to be gotten through, or a time preordained by Him? How will I see the people that cross my path? Is there a purpose in all of this?

   If God truly reigns, and I believe He does, and if He has given me gifts, both material and spiritual, and I believe He has, then there is a responsibility inherent in my living. Not to just escape the punishment of the unworthy servant, but for the Glory of the One Who Reigns.

   God help me to live it out today. The only way I can come close is with Your supernatural help and guidance.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment