Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What Makes Parents Proud?

   When I look at the two Examens each morning, I plan to use the Psalm one to pray by and the Gospel one to reflect on, but some days I get caught up in the first, and it seems to speak to me more than the second. So today, Psalm 72 is my starting point. In this Psalm, which is a Psalm of David about his son Solomon, it states:

   "May he defend the cause of the poor of the people,
give deliverance to the children of the needy,"
   David is asking God to bless his son, who will be the next king, in ways that will allow him to govern his people wisely and well, causing the land to prosper under his reign. One of the things David asks God to give his son is a concern for the poor and needy in the land, justice for the people who have no advocate to look out for them.

   As parents we want God to bless our children and their families as well. We are always proud and happy when we see the evidence of those concerns for others manifested in their lives.

   I think of Dwayne's encouragement of service learning projects with the students in his school in North Carolina. Teaching students that school is not just a gathering of facts to be proud of, but cultivating a sense of caring for those less fortunate and making those needs personal for the students.

   I think of Donna in her college class, using her knitting skills to lead her students to create items for unwed mothers and their babies. Just to get the guys and gals in that university, first of all to be aware that there are needs out there, and secondly that they can individually and collectively help.

   I also think of Doug and his family as they support children overseas, kids who might have nothing if not for the money and prayers of those of us who have more than enough. This is not just the sending of a check, but it is a learning opportunity for the kids in the home, making them aware of people in need, and then they can put a face on at least one person who falls in that category.

   Small things maybe, but steps on the road to making a lifestyle the consideration of others. I believe that God smiles when we care.

   It is so easy for me to get caught up in myself. I need this reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment