Friday, June 15, 2012

Ripples

   The book I wrote about yesterday still continues to weigh on my mind this morning. I told the story of Major Plagge and his actions toward the Jews under his control in the days of WWII. But, I am still reading the epilogue and his story is not finished, or, at least, his impact has not been fully felt. In fact, his impact will not be fully felt by others, or even by the ones that he helped, till time will cease.

   It is like a pebble, thrown into a pond, whose ripples continue to widen the circle, bringing life and gratitude to people whose lives were affected by that one toss.

   The stories of those who were given a lease on life by this man who wanted to somehow make a difference, who wanted to show the people around him that all Germans were not murderers and sadists, who knew that he could not stop the massive crimes that were going on all around him, but could only affect those few under his control, these stories continue to be told years later.

   Lives are affected, both those who read about the happenings, but more importantly, by those who are alive because of these acts.

   It makes me think about lives of people that have gone before me. How my life is molded and conditioned by what they have done and said. How I am grateful for sacrifice, for courage and for conviction of those folks.

   But it also makes me think of what I am doing to affect others, even in my small life today. How I should be aware of others that intersect my life on any given day. Do I at least give a smile and a good word where I can? Can others see that I care about them, and at least treat them with some respect as a fellow member of the human race? Do I show my gratitude about the past by passing on what I know to be true about the present?

   These are all small things, items that will not be written about anywhere, things that may not be important to many, but a small pebble can still make a ripple.

   God, please help me to make my ripples ones that bless others and make You smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment