Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Somebody Knows My Name

   When I graduated from The University of Tennessee, way back in 1958, I took a job with the university in their accounting department. My title was Asst. Auditor, and my job was to do whatever the Treasurer or the Head Auditor told me, The President of UT at that time was C.E. Brehm, who served in that office from 1946-1959. About the only time I saw Dr. Brehm was when he got out of his car to go to his office, which was on the 2nd floor of our building.

   After he retired, Dr. Andy Holt, who had been one of the University vice presidents, became the President and the aura around the office of president changed. Dr. Holt walked all over that campus, speaking to students, faculty and visitors alike. He never failed to speak to staff as they passed in the hall. The stories were passed around the school of how he would stop students on their way to the top of the Hill, to Ayers Hall, and give them a ride to the top in his car. He was a people person for sure.

   My office was in the Administration Building up on the Hill, well, really, I only had a desk in a big office, but the President's office was on the floor above. One day as I walked across the Hill for something, a voice called out from the other side of the small quad that separated the buildings, "Hey Don", and you can imagine my surprise when I realized who it was. The President actually knew who I was, and called me by name, not in a small whisper, but in a loud shout that everyone up on the Hill that day could hear. But that was the way this man operated, speaking to and with, everyone from the janitor in the building to the head football coach, without distinction.

   That memory sticks with me, partly because I was flattered by his recognition, but more  because I saw something there that I would like to emulate. The man cared about people, all his people, at least as far as I saw, and he was not afraid to show that in public.

   True humility and true caring are two traits that cannot be faked very well, and they are two that I would like to characterize my life. By treating men and women that I meet in a genuine way, acknowledging that they are persons of worth, whether it be in church, in prison or in a store, is the way that God would like me to behave.

   After all, He was not ashamed when He called my name either.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment