Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Reason to be Careful

   In a long ago yesterday time, a friend asked me why I did not put a particular bumper sticker on my car. The sticker had something to do with church or a church program that was being promoted by our local congregation, and we were encouraged to display it proudly on our cars.

   Not because I did not support what was being promoted, but I did not put one on my car. When asked, I simply said that I knew "me", and I did not want anyone who saw that car and driver think ill of something that was good. Many times I had seen a car with a fish symbol on the back or an evangelistic bumper sticker, speed by me on the freeway, or drive recklessly in traffic, and, to me at least, it gave a bad name to God and His people. I did not want to be the person that led another soul astray.

   I thought of that experience when I read the Psalm for today. From Psalm 69:

   "Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me,
O Lord God of hosts;
let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me,
O God of Israel."


   Our pastor has said several times from the pulpit that he was often just one step away from stupid, and since I am that way, I do not want any stupid act to be put out in front where everyone can see it.

   David's prayer above is mine also. I do not want people turned off by the way I act, or talk, or even drive. It is easy for a witness for Him to be thwarted by a "stupid" act, and I know that I am capable of just such a one.

   I do not want the people of God to have to be ashamed because of me, and I don't want those who are looking for God to be shown a bad example. To be the cause of either is not good.

   Most of all, I do not want God to be ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment