Saturday, March 9, 2013

No Boasting , Please!

   I wrote yesterday, somewhat in fear and trembling, of my prayer for the assurance of God's presence in my quiet moments. I did not fear telling the story, but from the fact that it might appear to be boasting of something that was mine alone. I am humbled by the idea that the Creator of the Universe, might take the time to hear my prayer and to respond, in love and grace, to that request, and I realize that it is something that He wishes to have with each person.

   So my prayer this morning was that He would give me confidence that I had indeed heard and that it was not just wishful thinking on my part. Also that I could write about it all and not come across as prideful in any way, just grateful.

   I opened the Psalms, as usual, and here is the message from there in Psalm 75:

   "I say to the boastful, ‘Do not boast,’
and to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up your horn;
do not lift up your horn on high,
or speak with haughty neck.’”


   My feeling exactly, and I surely don't want to be classed in that category, but if I write about this experience, will it appear that way, even if deep down, I don't want it to be? Maybe I should just keep it all to myself and thank God for the time and the experience.

   Then I looked for something in the Gospel reading to help me know what to do or how to approach this problem. From Mark, chapter 5, Jesus words to the man healed of the unclean spirits:

   "“Go home to your friends and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” 

   He told him to go and tell what had happened to him. It seems that I should not be ashamed to say what God has done for me, so I will. I will try to write in humility, without a trace of boasting.

   Then the verse from my favorite hymn comes to mind:

   I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection


   If there is boasting to be done, let it be in Jesus Christ and what He has done, for me for sure, and for everyone who believes on His Name.

   Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment