Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I Wonder About Wonders

   The prayer at the end of the Moravian Daily Reading for today is:

   "As we move through and reflect upon this day, O Creator of all, help us to notice all the wonders of Your world, and to remind others of those incredible gifts. Amen"

   I thought about that prayer as I walked out into the morning. What wonders are there out there that I do not even pay any attention to every day? How much do I take for granted, even down to the very air that sustains life, in me and in all around me?

   I feel the slight nip in the air, as the colder weather of winter is slowly turning into the warmer one of spring and summer, and I wonder at the miracle of the changing seasons, and the dormant growth of the winter is budding forth, having served its time and now comes out. How much wonder do I feel even that I can sense the change in temperature and adjust my life to it?

   Then I hear the birds singing, just as if they, too, are aware of a new day and a new time, and I am in wonder that God put them here for His purposes and for us to enjoy. How about the wonder of the ear and the ability to hear all of this? Is there not wonder in how all of that works? God's handiwork is on full alert, and the world rejoices at its mysteries.

   How about that sun? Rising on a predicable schedule each day, put in a perpetual path, as are the planets, like ours, that orbit around it with precision. Is not that awe inspiring when we think about the complexity and timing of our universe, most of which we do not even realize?

   I see all this most every morning, but how many times do I even pause and think about it? It seems so common, but are not those commonplace events, in themselves, a wonderment?

   So, I pray the same prayer above again, and I take the opportunity to remind any others that may read this. God has done so much for us. Let's not be indifferent to the world around us, both in nature and in humanity. Let's live in wonder and thank the Creator who so graciously gives to His creation.



   And when the sun rises again tomorrow, I can be thankful for it all once more, if I only take time to think and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment