Sunday, March 17, 2013

Complacent Rites

   I got a call from the church office the middle of last week, asking if I would be one of the men to serve communion at the early service today. I often have mixed emotions about this role, because I think it is an important one, one that has the opportunity to not only serve Jesus Christ in obedience to His command to His disciples, but also the people that come forward to partake of the elements. Secondarily, it can also be a blessing to me if I look on the act in an attitude of humility and service.



   I have felt, at times, not always, that I did not want to accept the assignment, because I did not want to do it with a feeling of "just another communion observance", but to perform this service in gratitude for God's sacrifice for me.

   It was easy for me to look back and remember times that I have been busy doing things at church, even sitting in the service listening to the message, and all of a sudden the pastor called the servers to the front to distribute the elements. I would go down front, receive either the bread or juice, go to my station, serve the people and sit back down without any preparation on my part. The busyness or the music or the message had not put me in an attitude that was either respectful of the act taking place or was even an act of worship for the congregation or myself.

   It does not seem right to serve in this way without it being an act of true worship and service. What does the ritual, if I can call it that, mean to me, to the others that I serve, to God? At times, it has only been something else to do at church, and I have come away with the feeling that I should not have even participated.

   There was something different about today. I prayed silently as we neared the church, and, as the service progressed, I felt at peace with the whole thing. When we sang the Doxology, I felt the emotions leading to true worship, and as we sang the first verse, one more time, this time without any instruments, as I listened to the voices raised around me, and even heard as mine joined in, I knew the following communion time would be special.

   Looking into the faces of those who came to be served, seeing the smiles in the eyes and sometimes tears, I was satisfied not to be a complacent server of a spiritual rite.

   God was in all of that, not that He is not always, but for me, having been prepared by the things that had preceded it, I felt His presence and knew that it was right. So I served, passed the bread to the ones who came, looked into eyes and felt that I was right where I was supposed to be. It was a good feeling.

   There was nothing special about the way that communion service went forward, but, as I look back on it from the perspective of a few hours later, I realize that I was different. My heart was prepared to serve and that made all the difference.

   There is no way to be complacent when the heart is prepared.

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heav’nly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Amen

2 comments:

  1. mr. bowman, this is very meaningful to me. i have had these same feelings about communion and feel whether i am in the role of server or partaker i must be ready in my relationship with Christ. i want to share this with my pastor so that she will see the importance of preparing the servers and reminding them to prepare their hearts. we often do it worrying about whether we are doing it right, instead of are we doing it in the right spirit...the Holy Spirit.
    peace to you, my brother.
    martha

    ReplyDelete