Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Why Do I Deserve Being Blessed?

   In Psalm 72, David is praying for his son Solomon, who is to be the next king of Israel. He prays for a lot of things that will help Solomon rule the land, and he also prays for his standing in the community of nations. David asks for a lot of things from God, but he also gives a reason that these blessings might come to his son. Listen:

   "May all kings fall down before him, 

For he delivers the needy when he calls,
the poor and him who has no helper.
He has pity on the weak and the needy,
and saves the lives of the needy.
From oppression and violence he redeems their life,
and precious is their blood in his sight.


   David does not pray for all of this because Solomon is his son. He does not seek these blessings because they are his right as a king, or because God is on the side of his nation. No, it is because of what Solomon will do with his life, how he will treat the people that are under his care.

   David knows that God is the ruler over all the kingdom, in fact over all the earth, and the king on the throne is only to be a servant of God, ruling with wisdom and treating his people as God would, in love and grace.

   The blessings come because of the life that is lived in service to God and with the best interests of his people in the forefront.

   Do I think I deserve blessings from God because of who I am, or what I have done, or where I live?

   The real reason to look for God's blessings is because of my attitude to those whom I can help, those I notice that are in need in any way.

   God, let it be so, even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment