Saturday, March 16, 2013

Teach Me To Number, And To Act

   A verse from Psalm 90 this morning:

   " The years of our life are seventy,
or even by reason of strength eighty;"

   And another from the same Psalm:

   "So teach us to number our days
that we may get a heart of wisdom."

   And yet another from that same passage:

   "Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
and establish the work of our hands upon us;
yes, establish the work of our hands!"


   What do they say to me this morning?

   By any account, my life is near the end. How near I do not know, but definitely I've many fewer days left than I have lived in my past. So, what is to be my lifestyle? How will my last days on earth be remembered, by others, and by God, Himself?

   From this Psalm, I read that I need to realize where I stand on the continuum of my life. I need to continue to learn and seek God, knowing full well that I am not filled with all the wisdom of God, even a small part of it. For what purpose is all this wisdom? To hold onto and brag about?

   No way, any wisdom that I receive from His hand is not to be hoarded. It is to be used in finishing well, and in passing on to any others that He might point out to me. Not in any foolish pride on my part, but in humility, and in a loving way, and with a prayer of all that being God's Work.

   So I pray first of all this morning for wisdom, not worldly wisdom, but true wisdom from God. Not just a lot of knowledge, but those things that are reflected in how to live. Next I pray for a loving and caring heart to be able to ascertain the times and the lives of any that might benefit from any of the above.

   None of us know where we are on this continuum, what birthday will be our last here, but we can all pray that last verse if we are trying to live each day for Him.

   "Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
and establish the work of our hands upon us;
yes, establish the work of our hands!"


   Let it be said of my life, that this is what I want to be my goal. Let my hands be busy in the worthwhile service of God, not wasted in idle pursuit, and let me know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment