Tuesday, March 26, 2013

There was an Error Message on the Screen

   What happens when I get up early this morning, open the computer to see what my devotional website has for me, and find, after I type out a prayer to God, that there is no Psalm reading to start on, only a note that says "Sorry, an error has occurred"? What do I do then?

   Our pastor had given us an online devotional for the period back in January where we as a church body were encouraged to spend some days in prayer and fasting for God's guidance in the year that lay ahead. This was the Moravian Dailey Text, and I did use it for some of my early morning time back then. I also kept it on my computer and have referred back to it on several occasions when I did not feel God speaking. So today, I felt encouraged to look there at the reading for today.

   This devotional has 3 separate Scripture readings, one in Psalms, one in the Old Testament and another in the New. There are also a couple of verses on the daily theme and often hymns to go along with this also.

   Today the Psalm reading concerned the brevity of life as depicted thusly in the Amplified Bible:

   " Lord, make me to know my end and [to appreciate] the measure of my days—what it is; let me know and realize how frail I am [how transient is my stay here]."

   The verses for the theme concerned wisdom, and the one that stood out to me as I thought on all of this was I Corinthians 1:20 which states:

   "Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?"

   How do the two come together in my mind this morning?

   Advice (somebody's supposed wisdom) comes in many forms. Out of the mailbox in the form of ads and promotional material, off the Internet in the some of the same forms, even from pulpits and in church meetings. How many times do I look and listen to worldly advice, from whatever source, and fail to match it up with what God says, either in His Word, or what He impresses on my heart?

   As I read both of these passages above and put them together, I realize the times of my life, even now what is left of it, and the responsibility to use it productively and in the wisdom that comes from God. The realization is easy, the implementation is harder, much harder. So my prayer is:

   God, first of all let me seek Your wisdom, then let me have ears to hear it, and also the boldness to speak it when You direct. Don't let me waste my days that You give.

No comments:

Post a Comment