Monday, March 4, 2013

Photographs and Priorities

   Some days ago, the laptop computer that I use had its hard drive corrupted by some piece of software that I had downloaded from the Internet. The result of all of this was that the browser would recognize the Internet but would not connect to it. After trying all sorts of fixes, the only thing to do to restore its functionality was to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall the operating system.

   One of the files I had on this hard drive was the one that held all the photos I had taken over the previous years. These were backed up on a thumb drive, so that they could be reinserted into the computer when it was ready to go again, but when the new system was in place, and the old one in the trash, I found that I had no program to look at, or work with, these old pics or any new ones that I took.

   So now I am in the process of looking at different photo programs, both for storage and for working with these images. I find that there are many such applications, and that there is also a learning curve that goes along with being able to use any of these effectively.

   Fortunately, there are also trial offers from the developers of such programs that allow one to test them for a specified period of time to determine if the software will do what is desired, and if a novice can actually understand how they work. Unfortunately, 30 days may not be long enough for some of us to find this out.

   Anyway, here I am last night, looking at tutorials as to how a new program might do the simple things that I want to do with these photos. Importing, choosing, editing, enhancing and working with these images, are all actions that can be taken with them, and this is just the beginning. Layered under each of these actions are seemingly multitudes of other things that can make us all into professional photographers, if we choose.

   Why in the world would I think of all this as I looked at the Bible readings for today? For one thing, the process was still on my mind as I woke up. For another, I did see some connection, although it might be hard to explain and understand.

   This verse from Mark's Gospel this morning:

   "And he went up on the mountain and called to him those whom he desired, and they came to him. And he appointed twelve (whom he also named apostles) so that they might be with him and he might send them out to preach."

   Jesus went with His followers and then chose 12 of them to be an inner core around Him in that ministry that He had come to do.

   In the same way, I have to choose which of the photos I take go into the development phase of the  application. I shoot a bunch at one time, but not all can be dealt with in the time constraints I have. Jesus does not have the same constraints, but still chooses 12 men for His purposes, calling them apostles, even while other disciples still follow Him and are used by Him in this ministry.

   Then I think of the word "disciple". What does that mean? The Bible Dictionary gives this definition:

   " A disciple of Christ is one who (1) believes his doctrine, (2) rests on his sacrifice, (3) imbibes his spirit, and (4) imitates his example (Matt. 10:24;Luke 14:26, 27, 33; John 6:69)."

   That is a tall order, but one that I want to be a part of. Each one of those attributes and actions deserve much closer study, but not in this space.

   I still have to figure out my camera and the photo application issues, but the issue of following Jesus is the most important.

   Priorities, Don, Priorities

No comments:

Post a Comment