Friday, March 15, 2013

Visiting Oatmeal One More Time

   Since I am the oatmeal maker in this family, I like to have very detailed instructions in my recipe. So many cups of this, so many tablespoons of that, so many teaspoons of the other, mix well, stir in the bowl, put the bowl in the crockpot, turn on low for 10 hours, and there it is. All the ingredients are spelled out in detail and the cooking instructions cannot be misunderstood.



   But then, when we make a 4 serving recipe and only eat 2, what do I do then? Do I put it in the freezer for tomorrow, or is it OK to put it in the fridge for 24 hours? If I reheat it do I put extra liquid in before I use the microwave or wait till it gets hot and on the table? How long in the microwave if it is frozen or how long from the fridge? Then, if I luck up and get it right, can I remember what I did so that can be replicated the next time? Is there even "one" right way?

   I like the detailed directions from the first recipe, but dislike the uncertainty of the guesswork on the second part.

   Is my life somewhat like that also? I read a phrase in the Bible, realize that it is true and that it sounds good, but then after thinking on it for a time, come to the conclusion that, although I sense its truth for my life, I don't know the details of how to work it all out. Too often, I just say "that is right" and just go on about my day, not thinking about the "how"s of living it.

   Take this verse in Psalm 37 this morning:

   "Trust in the Lord and do good;"

   The psalmist has stated a truth, and I know that if I lived that way, God would be pleased. But where are the detailed directions, the recipe for victorious Christian living? Does God expect me to go by trial and error and then luck up and get it right?

   There is no uncertainty with God. He has written, and we are to read, understand and act. We can get that knowing and acting through more study and prayer. When I want an answer to that leftover oatmeal problem, I type in a question on Google and get a bunch of answers. When I want to know "what is good" I pray and then look for situations coming into my life that give me opportunities to find out that definition.

   It might be nice if a person met me on the street, carrying a sign that read "you can do good here", but even without that visual reminder, God can show me if I but look and listen.

   So my prayer for today is for ears that hear and eyes that see the things that God has out there. I'll use that verse quoted above and then add "and keep your senses open".

   God, I know that You do not command things that I cannot do. Please forgive my indifference, and give me grace to continue to try to understand all that You want me to be. I need Your strength for the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment