Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Regarding Showers

   As I walked this morning, a very light rain began to fall, not enough to get wet but just enough to see it in the ponds and feel some on the body. Rain showers are welcome here. It seems we are always in a drought situation or right on the verge of one. Rain may put crimps in some plans for a time, but we can't do without it.

   As I walked and felt the small drops falling on me, I thought of the old song in our hymnals that we sang in the not so distant past. A hymn by Daniel Whittle, published back in 1883, Showers of Blessing. The words may seem a little simplistic, but, if I look closely, they convey an important message to me today.


  1. There shall be showers of blessing:
    This is the promise of love;
    There shall be seasons refreshing,
    Sent from the Savior above.
    • Refrain:
      Showers of blessing,
      Showers of blessing we need:
      Mercy-drops round us are falling,
      But for the showers we plead.
  2. There shall be showers of blessing,
    Precious reviving again;
    Over the hills and the valleys,
    Sound of abundance of rain.
  3. There shall be showers of blessing;
    Send them upon us, O Lord;
    Grant to us now a refreshing,
    Come, and now honor Thy Word.
  4. There shall be showers of blessing:
    Oh, that today they might fall,
    Now as to God we’re confessing,
    Now as on Jesus we call!
  5. There shall be showers of blessing,
    If we but trust and obey;
    There shall be seasons refreshing,
    If we let God have His way.


   It is so easy to get caught up in the problems of life that we fail to see how we are being blessed.

   There are: economic issues, health issues, world issues, local issues, weather issues. All of these clamor for our attention, most of which we have no control over, in fact, all of them are out of our control to some degree or another.

  I like the end of the last verse. If we but get out of the way and let God....

   Blessings I have in abundance, not the least of these is having the time to meditate on these things. In the midst of all the issues in my world, I am grateful that God is in control, and that His promises include taking care of His children.

   I am blessed and I know it.

   Thank You, God

No comments:

Post a Comment