Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Circumstances and Moods

   Yesterday I had a chance to play golf with some good friends on a good course, and I shot a pretty good score. It was easy to come home and feel good about myself and my day, but I also can remember days when my game was not so good, and I came home with a completely different attitude.

   What is it about my circumstances that causes such a mood change?

   Should it really be that way?

   I did not change who I was, only what I was able to do in a particular situation. If people were around and saw me perform, and said it was good, that would make my day worthwhile.



   This was in the Jesus Calling devotional for today. Remember the way the words are written here, It is Jesus talking to the reader.

"I want you to be all Mine. I am weaning you from other dependencies. Your security rests in Me alone; not in other people, not in circumstances."

   It is not dependency on other people or on circumstances that should be my source of happiness or joy. It is the knowledge that Jesus is guiding, and I have listened.

   In the Psalm reading this morning, there were these words:

"Praise the Lord!
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens!
Praise him for his mighty deeds;
praise him according to his excellent greatness!"


   The insinuation in all the verses of Psalms 148, 149 and 150 is that this praise is constant in all seasons. It is an attitude that does not depend on what others say or what circumstance surround my life at a given time. It is a way of life.

   Praise for Him, not for my up and down par on No. 17.

   I need to remember which score counts, His or mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment