Friday, January 3, 2014

True, Effective Leadership

   Waking up this morning, somewhat later than what I wanted to, probably because I stayed up too late last night, my first thoughts were on the activities of this day. I reviewed the schedule in my mind, even before I sat down in this, my supposed "quiet time". As I took up the routine of prayer before beginning anything, I realized that I had already begun to plan my day, even before asking God's guidance for my thoughts and actions.

   It is hard to shoehorn all that goes on in an active mind back into a life that wants to be led by God, but has a hard time getting into a following mold.

   So, I sit down to pray, and as I write out my petitions to God, I find myself hearing the words of a hymn that I have sung many times in the past. Maybe it is not so prevalent in our church's music repertoire, but there it was in my mind:




   Lead On, O King Eternal, words by Ernest Shurtleff, written back in 1887.

   As I read the words and thought about their appropriateness in my life right now, I realized that, although I had been put in various places of leadership, those places were not as important as the leader I was following. I might take them to be, but this was pride coming out.

   Marching out, leading the band to do great things, even in a good cause, has a certain aura to it, but following a real leader is the most important area of leadership. Whom I follow is more the determinate of true success than what I do.

   What words of the hymn spoke to me?

2. Lead on, O King Eternal,
Till sin's fierce war shall cease,
And holiness shall whisper
The sweet amen of peace;
For not with swords' loud clashing,
Or roll of stirring drums;
With deeds of love and mercy
The heav'nly kingdom comes.

   Not the fanfare, not the great accomplishments, if there be any, but how are they done?\

With deeds of love and mercy
The heav'nly kingdom comes.

   In love and in mercy, quietly and maybe in secret, but done.

Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done

No comments:

Post a Comment