Monday, January 6, 2014

Guidance

   At the very end of Psalm 48, there is this short phrase:

"He will guide us"

   I guess the reason this struck me this morning is that I had just prayed for this very thing. God gives us many things to enjoy, places, people, foods, and even some abilities. How do I use what he has given to me, even in this latter stage of life? Is there a reason for why I enjoy doing these things, a deeper reason than just enjoyment for myself?

   I believe there is a purpose behind everything that goes on, so I look for this in the things that I spend my time on these days. People might say "hey, you are good at that" or some other affirmation, and that leads to doing more, not just for folks to praise me, but maybe for a higher purpose.

   That is what I want, but I want to be guided in that way of purpose. If I am to spend some hours, maybe a lot of hours, of my time on something, it must include more than just a way to kill time, or even spend it on myself.

   So I pray for guidance, be it sudden and dramatic, or just a steady progression in the right direction, leading to a purposeful end,



   I want to be the boy in the picture, being led, safely and happily in the direction that his dad wants him to go.

   God wants the best for me and for those that I touch, so it stands to reason that He will guide me in that direction if I but ask.

   So I ask, and then I wait for some confirmation of His Will. Then I can take His hand and walk alongside, to where I should head.

   That is the destination where I want to arrive...

   

No comments:

Post a Comment