Friday, January 17, 2014

From Out Of the Past

   Sometimes social media gets a bad rap, but it does bring up some interesting situations.

   The other day on Facebook (Fb) there appeared in one of my notifications, a suggestion that I might like this other person to be my friend. I recognized the name as a boy who was in my class in grammar school, so I sent him a request to become my Fb friend. When he responded in the affirmative, I sent a note asking about his life since way back when.

   I still have a picture from a 5th grade class, taught by Mrs. Krepps, that has us both in it.



   It is funny how you can go through years in grammar school, and then lose complete track of those that you were so involved with. I count 26 boys and girls in that photo, some I cannot even place, and others that I know I know them, but that is all.

   On the back of the old photograph, all 26 have signed it along with our teacher. Most are names that I recognize. Some I don't, and there are others that I know, but can't put names with faces.

   I believe that we started first grade when we had turned 6 in that year, so that would have made us 11 or so when we entered Mrs. Krepps class in what was most likely 1947. WWII would have just ended, and things were slowly returning to normal after that great conflict.

   I have to wonder about those 66 years or so since we sat down in those 5th grade desks. What turns have those 26 lives taken? Where have they been? How many are still around today?

   Perhaps it is inconsequential, but it would be interesting to me to find out the different paths those kids have taken to get where they are today. Maybe this contact is a start in that direction.

   Fb and social media may not be so bad after all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment