Saturday, January 11, 2014

Spanish Moss Strikes Again

   A foggy morning, and so many things that my eyes do not see.

   As I walked past a clump of saw palmetto I could hear the sound of water dripping on the fronds. It was not raining, but the moisture from the humid air was collecting on the fronds and dripping down to the ones on the bottom stems.

   Even as I looked up the path, my vision was limited by the fog, until the distinctive features of distant objects were just faint on the horizon.

   I also noticed the spanish moss, lying on the path, clumps of which had fallen from tree branches. This plant collects water from the air and stores it so that sometimes it gets so heavy that I separates from its branch support and falls. I know I had probably noticed this before, but some of the moss was green, whereas most of the time, as I see it on tree limbs, it is a gray color.



   So, when I got back home, I looked Spanish Moss up on the Internet, to see why some was green and others gray. This is a living plant, getting its nutrients from sources other than the host tree.  Catching the water in the air aids in photosynthesis, and so the green color often shows when there is so much moisture in the air.

   Just because I had not noticed it before did not mean it was not right there, operating on its own schedule of growth.

   I did not see the moisture on the palmetto either, but heard it and realized that it was there.

   I did not see the far objects in the fog, but as I got closer, there they were.

   My vision is limited, and sometimes not even turned on. There are things that I do not see or maybe even choose not to see, but there they are, real and ready to be noticed.

   How much do I miss of God's leading? How much is already there that I just fail to notice?

   I read this morning of how God is already answering prayers even as I pray them. How He has put in motion the solutions to questions and problems or opportunities, that I won't even notice till they are played out.

   Thank You, God, for all You have done, and how all Your plans for me will work out. Help me to see all the results of Your love, even as I see what You have provided in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment