Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Fathers, Sons and Grandsons

   Our Virginia family came to visit us recently, and one of the things that we all enjoy is playing together. In the case of the photo below, it was a game of golf that brought three generations of Bowmans together. Grand Dad, Grand Son and Son.



   As I looked as this picture that Dawn, our daughter-in-law sent back to us, I could not believe how much I had turned into my Dad. If I went back and compared my image to his, the similarity would be striking. I guess I should not be surprised, but, until you actually look, you don't notice.

   There was this verse in Psalms 2 this morning:

"The Lord said to me, “You are my Son;"

   There was no doubt that I was related to my dad. The image told it all. But how much would my son and his son look like their Papa years from now? Scary to think of, I know.

   I like the affirmation that God gives in this verse, to all who believe on Him, and I gladly accept all the benefits of this relationship.

   There is a certain amount of pride in my voice when I tell people about my kids and their families. They have done well and accomplished much. When I speak of them, a smile comes readily to my lips, and I know my wife and I are blessed people.

   Then I have to wonder, how much do I look like my heavenly Father, and is there a smile there, too?

   Perhaps sometimes, but His words still are there:

   “You are my Son"

No comments:

Post a Comment