Monday, January 13, 2014

There Can Be Rewards In Following Rabbit Trails

   Recently, a friend of mine challenged me to look into the other side of the Christian-homosexual debate, to look at it from, not the heterosexual side, as my bent would be, but to actually see what the other side thought.

   Without going into the various facets of this debate, I want to share one place that has taken me.

   Looking for an illustration for this journey, I found this photo that I had taken on the golf course one morning. A picture of a trail of mushrooms. The emergence of these fungi from their source below the surface, show a random placement, but a definite direction. Of course you have might have a hard time following unless you know where to start.



   So I begin, first by praying that God would lead me in the way He wanted, and then heading out into the maze of the internet, with all its attendant articles and information.

   This is not about reaching a final answer, but only about the journey, a journey that was not completed in a few hours on a Sunday, but one that continues.

   The internet is a series of prospective rabbit trails. They can go anywhere with just the click of the mouse, and they do. So, I clicked my way along a trail, beginning with a vague reference to Christianity and Homosexuality. After several stops along the way, I found myself at a blog post by a pastor in a small church in California. As I scrolled down, I came to an interview by the editor of World Magazine, conducted with a lady who had been a lesbian and what her conversion to Christianity meant to her.

   Rosaria Butterfield was not bashing the gay side, just relating how her life changed after an encounter with Jesus. She cited several examples of strengths she had gained from her lifestyle, and simply led her audience along the path she had taken. The interview was well done, and she was an articulate speaker. It was a worthwhile listening experience, and I took in the whole thing. It is here if you have the time to listen.

http://shepherdsnotes.com/?p=3517

   After watching this video, I followed the trail to some of her writings this morning, not just about her former lifestyle, but her take on living the Christian Life. Attitudes and Openness on where Jesus can lead any of us, me especially, to live fully for Him and not be sidetracked by any "bullet point of the day".

   There is a lot of junk on the internet, but also the rabbits (and mushrooms) have left some very productive trails, if I am willing to look.

   Click on!

No comments:

Post a Comment