Friday, January 24, 2014

What Do You Do When You Just Don't Know?

   Sometimes as I read Scripture, I read a familiar passage, one that I have read countless times, then I read it again, and maybe again, then still just don't understand the whys of what I just read. Take this passage from Matthew 9 this morning: (from The Message)

"He touched their eyes and said, “Become what you believe.” It happened. They saw. Then Jesus became very stern. “Don’t let a soul know how this happened.” But they were hardly out the door before they started blabbing it to everyone they met."

   I wanted to make something of the phrase  “Become what you believe.” , but instead Jesus words farther down drew me in:

 “Don’t let a soul know how this happened.” 

   An event like this happened several times in the Gospels, Jesus saying to the healed person, "Don't tell anybody....", and then they did. He even spoke sternly, as in a command, but they did anyway. They did not seem to be able to help themselves. Something happened to them and they wanted people to know of their good fortune.



   I could not put an answer to the question of why Jesus would say that. The Bible just did not give the answer.

   There were opinions on the question out there as I found from a Google search. Blogs and articles abounded that gave someone's opinion on the question. Since they covered a whole spectrum of ideas, the odds were that some could have been correct, but which ones?

   Maybe it is a question that I don't need an answer to. Does it matter if I don't know? Why do I want to know anyway? Curiosity or something more?

   It starts out as more curiosity than anything else, but then I think "maybe this is something that I should know in order to live in the right way".

   I still don't know, but I enjoyed the search and the thinking about it all, and maybe it was all about the search and the reasons behind it.

  So I end my search for today the same way I began it, with a prayer that if it is important for me to know, He will make it plain.

   Questions and Life, a journey that we all live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment